Friday, May 3, 2013

Poetry Analysis on If You Forget Me by Pablo Neruda



   





If You Forget Me by Pablo Neruda Analysis

This poem was translated from the Spanish version. It is about Pablo's exile from his native country, Chile. This is one of the most famous poems by Pablo Neruda. "If You Forget Me" has many related themes about passion and love. Many people think this poem is thought to be a love poem dedicated to his wife Maltide Urrutia. This is a mistake.
The poem is seven unequal length stanzas. The first stanza initiates eagerness to read the rest of the poem.
"I want you to know one thing."
These are called stark lines. This in itself already grasps the reader's attention and indicates that whatever it is that he wants to be known has some kind of importance. In his second stanza a list of objects follows. "Crystal moon", "Red Branch", and "Slow Autumn". It brings a sense of peace and unity to the reader. His word choice of "impalpable ash", and "fire" evoke something strong and passionate. He explains that while he leaves in peace or in danger there there is always something that takes him back to his homeland, Chile. The "aromas, lights, metals, were little boats that sail" all "carries me to you", he says. Pablo has served his country well between the years of 1927- 1935. He took numerous government tasks that requires him to travel. Pablo was a member of the Chilean community party and he actively opposed President Gonzalez Videla. He was forced to live in hiding. He explains those feelings and emotions in the last line of the second stanza. Now for the best part,
"Well, now
if little by little you stop loving me
I shall stop loving you little by little
If suddenly
you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you."
The rhyming of his tone suddenly changes. He repeats the word "if". If makes the speaker seem like he is very unsure of what the country thinks of him now. He is like "IF little by little you stop loving me, I shall stop you little by little" which makes him sound a little stubborn and going for revenge maybe? This stanza seems to describe wishful thinking. I like it though. It is in his fifth stanza that Pablo starts talking about his exile. He says he might as well have left his cherished land. Pablo managed to escape Chile in 1949. He also explains in this stanza that his country has gone from the most amazing country to the most dangerous country. He says,
"I shall life my arms and my roots will set off to another land",
 which suggest though he was born in Chile he knows the roots were planted in the Old Chile not the New Chile. Therefore he chooses to plant his new roots elsewhere.
The last stanza talks about him returning to Chile. It is emphasized in
"But if each day,
each hour,
you feel that you are destined for me
with implacable sweetnes,
if each day a flower
climbs up to your lips to seek me,
ah my love, ah my own,
in me all that fire is repeated,
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten,
my love feeds on your love, beloved,
and as long as you live it will be in your arms
without leaving mine."
After reading this poem my first time, I'd think it were to be about a relationship and how he doesn't want it to end. But after reading it my second time I realized it had to do something with an object, place or thing. So in that case, many people might take this poem in many different ways. Everyone reads things in different perspectives.

1 comment: